Jon C. Parise
To obtain a senior software engineering position in the entertainment industry that will allow me to utilize my diverse array of technical, creative, and problem solving skills while allowing me to apply my love of games and entertainment.
· Databases – MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Oracle (limited)
· Source Control – Perforce, CVS, Subversion, Mercurial
· Operating Systems – Windows, MacOS, Unix (Linux, BSD variants, Solaris)
· Hardware Platforms – PC, Xbox 360, PS3
· Methodologies – Agile development/ SCRUM, traditional waterfall
Electronic Arts (Sims Studio),
The Sims 3 –
Senior Software Engineer (December 2007 to Present)
Lead Engineer of the Engine team, which developed and supported all aspects of the core technology for the game and its tools & pipeline. Provided technical leadership and oversight.
Specific personal contributions include: the object system; multithreaded architecture; audio system; memory optimizations; user-created content import/export system.
Electronic Arts (EARS), The Lord of the Rings: The White Council –
Software Engineer (April 2005 to December 2007)
Systems Engineer for a new game engine designed for the PC, Xbox 360, and PS3. Led online multiplayer implementation, which was based on an innovative distributed object model. Led core systems development and contributed to the game’s Lua-based scripting system.
Electronic Arts (EA Online),
Ultima Online –
Software Engineer (April 2004 to April 2005)
Lead Client Engineer for an unannounced Ultima Online title. Led UI development and implemented game systems such as player inventory. Contributed to the network layer and server development to accommodate game features and client-side performance requirements.
Server Engineer for Ultima Online: Samurai Empire. Implemented a new guilds system design that included a revamped UI and a real-time query features. Designed and implemented a generalized memory-based caching system to avoid performance bottlenecks.
Electronic Arts (EA Online),
The Sims Online –
Software Engineer (March 2003 to April 2004)
Simulation Engineer for new game features. Responsibilities included: extending the game simulator and scripting system; creating new in-game characters and objects; improving client and server performance; metrics gathering and reporting; and building general software infrastructure.
Member of the TSO Emergency Response Team, which supported the game’s live operation.
SuSE Linux, Inc. –
Software Developer (December 2000 to December 2001)
Telcordia Technologies (formerly Bellcore) –
Summer Intern, Applied Research Division (June 1999 to August 1999)
Masters of Entertainment Technology, 2003
Institute of Technology,
Bachelor of Science, Information Technology, 2001 (Highest Honors)
Concentrations in networking technologies and
Minor in Science, Technology and Society Studies
· IAI (ETC), the Interactive Animatronics Initiative (interactive robotics), Spring 2002
· ARRG (ETC), a real-time computer-generated panoramic show, Fall 2001
Multiplayer Game Development 2 (
· 2002 International PHP Conference, Speaker (PHP Internals Track)
· 2001 International PHP Conference, Speaker (Applications Track)
· 2001 O’Reilly Open Source Convention, Speaker (PHP Track)
· The Horde Project, Core Developer, 1998 to 2006
· The PHP Project, Contributing Developer, 2000 to Present
· The PEAR Project, Developer and PEAR Group Member Emeritus, 2001 to Present
· PEAR Log Package – The leading PHP logging framework (900,000 downloads)
· PEAR Net_SMTP Package – The leading PHP SMTP implementation (1.4 million downloads)
· PEAR FSM Package – A PHP finite state machine implementation
· Python in PHP – Python language interoperability with PHP
· PHP Perforce Extension – Native Perforce API interface for PHP
· PHP SASL Extension – Native Cyrus SASL authentication support for PHP
· Association for Computing Machinery, 2004 to Present, Member
· Independent Game Developers Association, 2002 to Present, Member
· Computer Science House, 1998 to 2001, Alumnus
§ Member of the systems administration group (OpComm / RTP)
§ Director of Research and Development, 1999 to 2000
Rank of Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of